The Amazing Kids

The Amazing Kids
Can you Believe 5?!?!?!

Wednesday, November 7, 2007







Elizabeth Ann Katsitsaro’roks Cook Christensen








On the morning of October 3oth, my mother died. It was a difficult time for all. My mother was the rare breed who made everyone feel special, a true friend to the freindless. More info about her can be found at http://www.pray4liz.com/


I've decided to post what I spoke about at her funeral services. I can hardly lay claim to these words as I know that I was inspired from her to share them. Here it is:


Mom Funeral Talk












Sing the Indian Prayer song. “Eeyah-weh-a-hooo…. “








“Thank you Creator for all that is not only useful, but it is also beautiful. I thank you”



Abraham Lincoln once said, “All that I am or hope to be I owe to my angel mother.” These words may very well explain my feelings about my own mother.



Elizabeth Ann Katsitsaro’roks Cook Christensen was just 69 yrs old when she left us
She taught me and she encouraged me. She truly convinced me I could accomplish anything I wanted. She also disciplined me, but always with love and a burning desire for the eternal well being of my soul. Mom was a wonderful mother, a great role model, and scarcely a day passes I do not think of her and miss her terribly.
She was a freind to the freindless and could not hold a grudge. I saw her try, but she would always forgive and move on.















Details:



  • Born in Rochester New York, May 30th, 1938 to Philip Cook and Mary Narsisian Cook.

  • She was the 2nd child of four children.

  • As a young girl, she moved to Hogansburg (now Akwesasne) near the Mohawk Indian reservation on the New York – Canadian border.

  • Elizabeth went to the “White ‘Only’ School” to get a better education. She was regularly stomped on by many who treated her as a dumb Indian that “had no place there.”

  • She hungered for knowledge, to learn, read, speak other languages and excel. "I think I just quoted my mom."

  • They had no electricity at home so she read by candles and lanterns.

  • At 14 yrs. old, after obtaining her OWN testimony, she was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

  • While attending High School in Massena, NY she was on the Honor Roll all four years, she played ALL the classics beautifully on the piano, and was May Queen not just for her notably stunning beauty, but for her intellect as well.

  • In the summer of 1952, the whole family traveled across country to Logan Utah to be sealed as a family, almost losing her younger sister Carol along the way, who somehow knew to pray when she was lost. They found her hours later, unharmed.

  • In 1956 she received a full scholarship to Albany State Teachers College where she studied French and Latin for 2 years.

  • In 1958, her father Philip Cook sacrificed almost everything for his dear Liz and her older brother Philip to go to BYU. They boarded up half of their home to be able to rent out the other half to boarders as the rest at home cooked and cleaned.

  • In 1959 she met Herbert Christensen

  • Dad was Dorm President of the “D Dorms” at the Y and mom lived in “Night Magnum.”
    He first saw her in line at the cafeteria and wile looking up from his lunch said to himself, “Wow, what a babe.”

  • He immediately introduced himself and asked her out. She apologetically declined as she was “waiting on a missionary.”

  • Dad said, “Hey I love that you would do that, don’t worry, we’ll just be friends.”
    Months later at an Athenians Social Unit Fraternity party on the top of the Hotel Utah, while overlooking the Salt Lake Temple, dad proposed. Dad says it took some convincing, but She knew that he was the one.

  • On August 26 of 1960 they got married in the Idaho Falls Temple, and her dad sold much of their furniture to afford the journey out west.

  • Mom graduated from BYU with honors, became an accomplished pianist, vocalist, playwright, wife and mother.

  • Together they lived in Washington DC, Garden Grove CA, and then built a wonderful life in Anaheim, California and finally Alpine, Utah

  • Together they raised six children who adore her deeply.

  • Her love of music and of nature and especially of ALL people made her a joy to be with and a friend to multitudes.


A few months before she passed away, she was diagnosed with the worst of all types and stages of brain cancer, a disease she fought with great courage. As a family we learned, strangely enough, that cancer is a disease of love.


Why? A disease of love you ask? Because, it provides opportunities to mend fences, say good-byes, and express love. A few weeks before my mother’s death, we were visiting in her bedroom and her farewell words to all her posterity were, “In the future, you will want “Things” but I tell you they are NOT important. What’s important is your testimony of the gospel and your testimony of Jesus Christ.”

There are some who cry foul or not right, that this is unfair and why should she go now. Perhaps the answers can be found in words recently penned by family friend Jason Hall:

Too soon you were taken
We are tempted to say,
Too soon was this life taken away.

But your tasks completed,
and a full life led,
He's called you home,
to dwell with Him instead.

A life so full,
a life so complete,
has earned you the right,
to kneel at His feet.

None of this life's tasks
have you left undone,
Daughter of Eve,
Child of God,

Well Done,
Well Done.


I know that the scriptures often provide answers for me, and my pleadings for answers about this were made clear in Alma Chapter 5: 26-33

26 And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?
27 Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? That your garments have been cleansed and made white through the blood of Christ, who will come to redeem his people from their sins?
28 Behold, are ye stripped of pride? I say unto you, if ye are not ye are not prepared to meet God. Behold ye must prepare quickly; for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand, and such an one hath not eternal life.
29 Behold, I say, is there one among you who is not stripped of envy? I say unto you that such an one is not prepared; and I would that he should prepare quickly, for the hour is close at hand, and he knoweth not when the time shall come; for such an one is not found guiltless.
30 And again I say unto you, is there one among you that doth make a mock of his brother, or that heapeth upon him persecutions?
31 Wo unto such an one, for he is not prepared, and the time is at hand that he must repent or he cannot be saved!
32 Yea, even wo unto all ye workers of iniquity; repent, repent, for the Lord God hath spoken it! 33 Behold, he sendeth an invitation unto all men, for the arms of mercy are extended towards them, and he saith: Repent, and I will receive you.

I say unto you, that this was the message from my mom to me on why she left us like she did. She had been sufficiently humled, yeah, she had been cleansed through the atoning blood of Christ, and therefore, she was prepared to meet God.


I recieved my answer for me, and then she gave me this message for you. Yes, THIS is the message from my mother to us all:
Have ye experienced a change of heart?
Have ye been sufficiently humbled?
Are you the sinner that needs forgiveness yet fails to forgive?
Have you been betrayed by those who should have protected you or loved you?
Do you have issues from your childhood, or youth that you cannot seem to let go of?
Have you hurt another by your actions or words?
Have you been offended or dealt with unfairly?
Do you have skeletons in your closet of unresolved issues that burden your progress?

I say unto to you now, feel the power of the Spirit, so now even today, “Leave it by the roadside,” Forgive, forget, move on and move along to happier times of love, forgiveness, and eternal joy… This was the message my mom has left for you. Let her loving, accepting, and ever forgiving spirit be a source of strength to you as an example of one who always let it go, and chose to reach out and love, a friend to the friendless, pure charity unfeigned.

This is the legacy of Liz Christensen…

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave, I somehow found your blog and read what I heard you say @ Liz's funeral. It brought back good memories. I hope all is well for you and for Herb. I have great memories of your mom and dad.

JT Dial

crazysicilian51 said...

thank you for sharing these uplifting words with us all. We are not family members but your Mama and Papa always loved us as if we were. when they said I Love You it was real and felt in the deepest part of our soul.

patty and danny robedee said...

thank you for sharing these words with us. when your Mama and Papa said I Love You it was felt in the deepest part of our soul, they made us strong they made us feel like yes we do matter. they loved us when no on else would. they were never afraid or ashamed to say we are friends we are family . when wrong was done to us they came and stood by us - when no one else would. they gave us courage to continue - when i just wanted to leave. Herb and Liz ( my MMW)gave us UNCONDITIONAL LOVE . MMW you are forever in our soul with each breath we take. your Papa and Mama we had good deep soul talk - they were my confidants . we talked a few days before he went to Armenia and in my heart i truly felt Papa was going back to be with his only love , he even took time out to email me from a cafe over there. we have their precious love and kind words to remember. we were the ones who were blessed to have their love always. thank you Christensen family for sharing your Mama and Papa with us. and everytime he gave a blessing to me or my son it was always answered. we will treasure always the love of Herb and Liz our MMW we love you all